I suppose this is a feeling I must get used to... disappointment in my children. It's not a feeling I enjoy but it's one I'm sure will occur again and again. Sadly I am reminded that no matter one's age, we all mess up and certainly are in need of God's amazing grace.
We go to our my Mom's Group Bible Study every Thursday and these days I am dealing with Audrey screaming when I leave her. So when the director of childcare came down and pulled me out of Bible study, I was expecting an Audrey crying report. I should have hoped for an Audrey crying report. Unfortunately it was Madeline. She is now that kid. She is a biter. :(
Evidently she didn't want to share a ball and she decided to chomp on her buddy Jaden's finger to get what she wanted. The nursery workers dealt with her nicely and as soon as I could turn over my teaching responsiblities, this mad momma beelined for Madeline's room.
She knew why I came to get her out of class and as we walked down the hall together talking, she refused to look at me. This was a first. She always looks me straight in the eyes if I ask her to, no matter what she has done. We have turned over a new leaf, one I am not happy about at all.
The discussion ended with a spanking and she went back to class. When I picked her up, she informed me that Jaden was feeling better because he got an orange bandaid. I'm not sure little Jaden would agree but I won't blame him for steering clear of Madeline for some time to come.
She is my biter, so what's a mom to do? She has done this before but only to me and obviously the punishment is not making a difference. So my mom's out there with biters... send me your advice, I certainly could use some!
Native Plant Rescue and the Return of Fire Pink
3 months ago




2 comments:
Every kid is different, and they all understand things different ways. Brody had bitten a few times, and I tried time out, spankings, putting a bad taste in his mouth, and taking away toys. None of those meant anything to him. Then one day he got mad at me and just locked down into my arm. I could not get him to let go, and it was bleeding and it hurt so bad. As my last resort in the moment, I grabbed his arm and bit him. He FINALLY let go of my arm. He strangly looked at me and said, "That hurt!" I threw my arm in the air and said, "I KNOW, this hurts!" It was then he understood the pain he was causing, and he has never bit anyone again. Parenting is trail and error. We start with small consquences and pray we don't have to go to the extreme.
My mom's mother had to bite my Aunt Patsy when she wouldn't respond to anything else. I think it might be an effective option to consider! (Those stories have been passed down for more than sixty years now!)
Post a Comment